Google dictionary tooltip – a cool thing

Have you ever seen something on the internet that surprised you a great deal? I saw something cool today that made me realize that there are companies out there like Google© that do clever things in their work even if it is a very small thing. I am talking about Google dictionary extension for chrome which employs some cool techniques to render the tooltip arrow. I have seen a couple of tooltip implementations online like on LinkedIn® and Twitter, but all they do is use an image for the arrow and sometimes complete tooltip balloon as an image. What caught my attention in Google Dictionary balloon was the use of simple plain html divs, and after I dug deeper, I realized there is no magic going on in there. Check this out.

Using chrome on a Wikipedia page for “Programmer”, I look up the meaning of this terminology in Google dictionary.

img-01

 

I do an “Inspect element” to see what styles arrows has.

img-02

 

The div I am interested in is next to the div with class “gd-bubble”, which is just a container for two inner divs which are creating the arrow effect. If you click the second inner div of this container, you can get all the styles. In order to figure out what exactly is happening there, I give some different colors to its borders (left,right and top).

img-04

 

As soon as I give the colors, it (second inner div) will look like this:

img-03

 

Next, in addition to border colors, I now try to change its height and width and see what happens.

img-05

 

It is now time to touch the first inner div as well. We give a green color to its top border (border-top) in order to distinguish it from its sibling (second inner div). The result I get is this:

img-06

 

To my surprise, the tooltip arrow is nothing but just a box with its bottom border (border-bottom) stripped off. Now, In order to give it an arrow shape, what I have to do is reduce its width to zero.

img-07

 

And, changed the height to “auto”.

img-08

Now change the border colors of the second inner div back to “transparent”.

img-09

 

As well as change the border-top color of the first inner div back to “transparent” and there I go. What I get is not a multi-color box, but a nice tooltip arrow pointing downwards.

Untitled-10

 

I know tooltip is not a big thing, but the point is that at times even the smallest thing can make a big difference in the performance of the site. It doesn’t imply at all that using an image will slow down the rendering of the page for the image can be cached, but when I can use native html to accomplish something, then why not.

 

HTH,

0 comments:

Post a Comment